Wednesday 23 May 2018

Final thoughts....20 out 20 in


Once back over the finish line I was met by my family and friends, the reason they track you on the final day is so they know when you will cross the line in order to ensure you have your family and friends there to meet you. The feeling of running down that final few meters and under the finish line banner cannot really be put in to words, to see Sarah waiting to hand me 10 medals with tears in her eyes was beyond explanation, and seeing my Dad and Brother Rick and Gemma all looking so proud is something I'll never forget, literally once in life time stuff. Seeing also my friends  Adam, Lisa son Leo, as well as his mum and dad I just couldn't believe, It was great also to see Sarah's brother Lee and Mandy as well, so many people and I honestly didn't expect to see this many come out to support me, I was blown away by the support on the final day and also throughout the event.

 
Once showered and changed we were invited up onto the main stage to be presented with our finishers trophy by Joss Naylor in front of the crowds, this was quite a moment. I also received a signed copy of Joss's book, signed by both himself and the author.
 

I honestly don't think I could have achieved this without the support of family and friends, I understood from the outset what a challenge this would be physically , but probably underestimated the mental challenge. The mornings were difficult and being away from home away from loved ones when I was hurting was hard. If anyone asked me "should I run 10in10?" I would absolutely say yes, do it, but don't underestimate it. Its a 10 - 12 month programme to get yourself on the start line of this challenge both fitness wise and fundraising, but boy is it worth it when it comes together, the charity envelops you and takes you in to it's heart throughout and you do it also, the runners and support crew become friends you'll never forget, but the heavy heart your left with when it's all over is hard to carry.


The sore achillies is now starting to heal, hopefully one or two more physio sessions and I'll be back running again. The mental challenge however is not over, anyone who runs will know the term 'runners blues'. You work so hard to an event and the endorphins which you experience during give you such a high with completion providing such elation. The return to normality, especially when hampered with slight injury can be difficult to deal with, I did prepare myself for this as I knew this would happen, I have other challenges on the horizon, albeit on a lower scale, but challenges all the same. We also fly out to lanzerote in a few weeks for a holiday (assuming we can find our passports!) which will help, so hopefully both physically and mentally I'll be back on song very soon.

For those interested in the stats, they read like this:

20 runners started this journey together and 20 runners finished

I finished 4th overall out of the 20 runners, highest finish 3rd on day 5

I ran pretty consistent throughout with an average time of 3 hours 50 minutes and 9 seconds

My slowest was 3 hours 52 min 32 secs on day 6

My fastest was 3 hours 44 min 58 secs on day 10

I'm 10 in 10 club member 106 , the club contains 117 runners who've completed the challenge since 2007.

£3631 raised so far for the Brathay Trust


One final thank you to all of the support crew involved in the 10in10, Jim Meta, Aly and Mac Knowles , Paul and Trudi Dewar , Sandra Wade, Chris Heaton, Michelle for the excellent photography and words of comfort and of course the legend that is Joss Naylor for valuable advice.
Thanks also to Michael Borrett my Physio who put me back together each day, along with the rest of the physio team who were all very supportive and helped make the event. Dr Katie Small and head Physio Adam for advice and support also.

Also all of the people who encourage and sponsored me throughout and leading to the event, without you its just running.

Finally to all of my friends and family, especially my Wife Sarah who helped immensely with fundraising and organisation, following me all over to training events during the last 12 months, also my Brother Rick and Gemma, my Dad and my Friend Adam for making various trips to the lakes to support me from the roadside, especially on the quieter mid week days.

I can honestly say all of the above combined helped make this easily the best running achievement of my life, and generally one of me greatest experiences all around , tough but incredibly rewarding and enjoyable!

And that's it, 12 months in the making, 10 days in the running and a lifetime in the memory, this was my 10 Marathons in 10 Days.

Thank you



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read it twice.
    That’s what I was talking about before.
    I was in there running it with you, in pain with you smiling and enjoying it.
    I Know the feelings only too well and the empty ness to come.
    Enjoy the memories you’ve earnt them and enjoy your family proudly telling all their friends all about you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Sean. You ran brilliantly throughout. Managed yourself and the course excellently. Recover quickly and all best wishes.

    ReplyDelete