Monday 2 December 2019

Wilmslow Festive 10k - 24th of November 2019





The event was sold out, so it was a long shot, but started asking around and got lucky to pick up a spare place from Elizabeth Mason from the club Hyde Striders, (thanks Liz), and it was on, it was nice to have a surprise race in the diary, one I'd forgotten all about and not entered, so had no time at all to over think it and worry etc.

I'd arranged to pick up a couple of club friends Joe and Dylan, on the way down we chatted a bit about 10k tactics, This was only my second 10k road race, with the other being the Langdale 10k in the Lake District last December clocking 43 mins, so whilst I was sure I would be quicker than that, I really wasn't sure how to approach it. I thought perhaps double my 5k pace, add a bit and go with that, I arrived at about 35 mins with that crude calculation. Also, after listening to Joe's race tactic of  "just go out really fast and try and stay fast" , I thought that sounded like a solid enough plan for me, so tactics were drawn around that statement and those calculations...

We hung around a bit and had a nosey in the Run North West shop who organise the event, I was amazed by the scale of the event, thousands of runners knocking about. It was like the who's who of local running with some top runners and well known names about. About 10 - 15 mins before the start we headed back to the car to get changed and moved to the start area. It felt like a really big event once in the starting area.

I don't know what it is about races, but you get yourself set and suitably positioned so as not to hold up the faster runners and so not to get penned behind steadier runners, yet once the start is imminent it seems you've been shuffled back 5 or 6 rows....  I can only think people join the pens from the front, does anyone know ? We didn't have time to complain or worry however, there was no messing about with announcements or delays the race gun went and we were away, and away fast! It felt like the first 300m or so we had to bob and weave a bit to find some space and move past a few other runners before settling in, I needed to jump on the kerb for a short while before rejoining the road once there was a bit more space.


I checked my Garmin, I was moving @5:25 pace which is a bit keen I thought, but thinking of the 'go fast and stay fast' tactic myself and Joe were deploying I guess this was spot on. I caught up to the lead woman group and sat with them for a short while, they were getting huge support from the crowds which had turned out to support the race, I hesitated about pressing on, but felt good so moved on from the group hoping to stay ahead. I had to run straight through some pretty deep water puddles in order to take the best line on the corners, but my wet socks were becoming less and less of a problem and the run heated up. I went through 5K in 16:49, with my 5k PB being 16:40 I was really moving. I felt ok through, I was picking up some runners who were starting to drop off which always helps if you can do it, I sat with runners for a few seconds before pushing and trying to catch the next

.

About 8k in I was in-between runners trying to make the jump when  I started to feel the heat, my hamstrings were feeling sore, I thought they'd recovered from Conwy, but the pace of this race was highlighting the cracks. I'd gone from racing aggressively to trying to survive in just a few seconds. The little voice in my head started visualising reasons I could stop, I thought if I can just make the gap to the next runner I can hold on and just sit in a while. Suddenly the runner in front of me stepped off the road holding his hamstrings, that runner was my goal! I very nearly stopped myself and held my hamstrings. I was now on my own with the next runner even further up the road. The course starts to undulate a bit and the runners ahead seem to slow, this allows me to get back amongst something of a group, it felt like I'd been rescued and I gained my control again. All of a sudden a 400m to go sign appeared! Wow I thought, I'd been that involved in my own mental battle to continue I'd forgotten about the battle with the distance and we were nearly done, I just about managed to muster a sprint finish with a Sale Runner and we were home. 34 mins and 06 annoying seconds. Blimey, 10k's are hard, basically just as fast as 5ks and twice as long. Seems obvious that, but true....





I was amazed by my time, running hurts, but I'd surprised myself today , I'd beaten 35 mins which I'd have more than taken if offered before the race. The top seven runners ran sub 30 minutes today, which is unbelievable. I finished 38th and v40 7th, from over 4000 runners very pleased and very shattered. Joe came in not long after in 37:20, also a great time.


If I look at what was missing from my training this year it's 10k and track work, so I'll be looking to improve on that early next year for spring marathon training. The Wilmslow 10k was a brilliant event, they do a summer event also. So if you are looking for a fast 10k, look no further! It gets very crowded near the end and a bit chaotic , so I think next time I'd arrange to meet back at the car rather than the race end. But having said that it's nice to cheer other club runners on and have a catch up with friends.
I've got another 10k in the Lakes in a couple of weeks, at least now I know how I can go about a 10k with this experience under my belt...that's right, double my 5k pace, add a bit and just survive.

race results

No comments:

Post a Comment