Tuesday 10 December 2019

Langdale Road Races - Brathay Xmas Pud 10k - Dec 7th 2019

Not Pretty...but running isn't just about running

 



This month brings to a close my first full 12 months running for Hyde, I'm not new to running, not at all, but I have been re energised since joining up to the club late last year, and really enjoyed the journey of 2019. The cherry on the cake was being presented with the Strider of the Year Award at the clubs annual ball, never did I imagine I'd win something like this, I wasn't even sure I knew enough people at the club to attract the votes! But just goes to show how supportive the running community is, and really couldn't have had the year I've had without it.
 

The Langdale Christmas 10k was my first run for Hyde in December 2018, so I was looking forward to going back 12 months on an improved runner. All Brathay events have a special place in my heart, since taking part in the Brathay 10 Marathons in 10 Days in May 2018 (read about it here Brathay 10 in 10 ) , they organise the famous Windermere Marathon, Brathay 5k, Langdale Marathon, Langdale Half Marathon the Langdale Christmas Pudding 10k and recently the Ambleside 60k Ultra as well as multiple cycling, hiking and rowing events all in aid of changing young lives in support of the Brathay Trust Charity.



The importance of the race was also increased 10 months ago on a night out in Manchester,  Sarah my wife and Rick my Brother had made a deal (beer involved) that they were both going to take up running and entered the 10k also, a deal supported by photo evidence and reminded continuously throughout the year, the deal was honoured , and both arrived fully trained and ready to race on a wet morning in the Great Langdale Valley, Sarah had even joined Hyde Village Striders and completed the Stride Out Programme, whilst Rick had trained on the streets of Gee Cross himself. I was so proud of both their efforts to get here ready to run and another reason to look forward to the event. So this wasn't 'just' a 10k,  it was a 10k which meant a lot to me, also one I felt with my recent times I could compete in.  Cue a nasty chesty cough taking hold in the few days leading up to the event...…



The Deal


We arrived at registration about 10:30am and collected our race numbers, I still was not sure if I was going to race at this point, we grabbed a quick coffee and went back to the car to get changed, fix numbers etc. It was cold and rainy, perfect conditions for a cough …. I decided to have a warm up and threw in some pretty hard efforts to see how my chest reacted, ok actually, coughing a bit, but not as bad as I thought. I'd been checking my heart rate all night also which was normal, so I thought fuck it, I'm going against all the correct and sensible advice and I'm running today, lets do it. And I'm going to try and mix it up at the sharp end for good measure. We sat in the car as long as we could to stay warm before finally moving over to the starting line, we wished each other luck and Gem took our final warm layers and we got set in the starting area. I positioned myself right near the front, just one row of runners ahead, I was freezing as I waited for the final race briefing to be complete by Scott Umpleby Race Director, unusually for races they called us forward to the start line early, and a quick count down we were away!



You can probably just make me out in the above picture in the pack, the Helm Hill Runner and eventual winner Pete Harrison at the front went out bloody hard and put in a 5 min mile against the undulating road,  with or without a cough I couldn't live with that pace and tried to settle into the chasing pack group. I managed to jostle around a bit and soon settled in and brought a few runners back settling in about 5th on the road, but I was suffering.



I sat in with a couple of Ambleside AC runners, one being Sarah McCormick who was first female and second overall last year, something she went on to repeat this year. I was hoping to stick with her for longer, it's well known in running that women generally pace races better than men, men tending to go out hard and fade. So it had been my intention to learn from her pacing, but just couldn't hang around for the lesson and got dropped by the Ambleside duo about 3k in.  My first few miles were 5:33 and 5:50, ok it was undulating, but no more than I was used too, I just felt shit. I really felt like stopping, which is not usual to be honest, but my moral took a bit of a punch when the two Ambleside runners left me. It wasn't pretty either, I was slavering like a race horse, the amount of slobber I was producing was actually embarrassing as I ran past supporters and photographers, I was obviously having a clear out by putting my lungs under pressure whilst carrying a chesty cough.

I got my self together again and managed to settle in, as we ran into Elterwater the route climbs sharply, it's amazing how hard hills are after 4 miles of fast road racing, the route is lose stone under foot at this point. I did manage to stick with the runners around me up here however, and even gained a place or two which I'd previously lost. We then make a noticeable turn and head through some farm land on bridle tracks, which thankfully had now levelled off, I hit the 8k mark and was feeling as good as I'd felt for the whole race, I could even see I was closing in on one of the Ambleside Runners.


The final 2k was simply a battle across the undulating roads to the finish, trying to close down a couple of runners ahead which I couldn't quite do, whilst preventing anyone passing me, which I did manage to do. Once I could hear the announcements of the finish line area I just gritted my teeth and pushed all the way in whilst trying to sort my face out,  I came in at 37 mins and 20 seconds 6th male and 7th overall from about 800 starters. Putting that into context I finished 58th last year in 43 minutes . So a real mixed feeling when I crossed the line.



I felt awful on finishing, was presented with my Christmas Pudding by Aly Knowles of Brathay, then headed to get warm. I was glad to see Gem waiting to tell me my face needed wiping ! My attention then immediately turned to the other Warburtons out there today, once I had some warm clothes on we waited for both Rick and Sarah to appear over the horizon.



It was great to see Rick coming in smiling and looking comfortable at 50 mins and 2 seconds, brilliant effort for his first 10k road race and a very lumpy course, and certainly not looking out of place.

Then a short time later Sarah came in absolutely buzzing and waving her arms about, cars beeping and people clapping in 1 hour 27 minutes and 6 seconds! I know how hard Sarah has worked for this and fully deserved this excellent result! In fact, from the three of us I looked the worse for wear on finishing, maybe I'm the one who needs to learn to enjoy races from time to time


This was my last race of the year, and what a year its been, super pleased with my times, but running isn't just about running and times. It's about enjoying it,  community and support, as well as seeing others getting involved and the change it has in them is unbelievable. I can't wait for next year, some big dates in the diary and will we see more from Sarah and Rick? I think we will.  But for now, that's me for 2019, I'm full of a cough and cold now so will take some time off running this week and try and get myself fit. The only thing left to do in the lakes after the race was of course, Beer and Pizza.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all

No comments:

Post a Comment