Tuesday 15 May 2018

Day 5, half way house


I woke this morning with thoughts of this being the 'halfway' point, which if I'm honest both encouraging and terrifying at the same time, encouraging in that we are half way there (whoooo) but terrifying in that we have to do this all over again after today........




Anyhow, after the usual carry on of breakfast etc (no point in repeating the groundhog day) I headed down to breakfast, I was on the phone to Sarah whilst walking down and I noticed my Friend Garry, as always really good to see friend! It was ladies day today which means all the male physio team dressed as ladies, it's a great laugh and lifted all the runners spirits, although I think Garry thought this was the norm....... The morning is always a nervous time , all of us know every time we go out something can go wrong, we're always happy to get back free from injury and illness, the team is great and forming a really strong bond.



We set off at 9:30am as always to great support by the 'ladies' and Garry was there also, I was in good spirits this morning and settled into my rhythm pretty quickly, I was also on my own quickly as a few of the usual runners I run with had set off at slightly different times than usual. Each morning we set off one at a time, to avoid congestion on the roads which are not closed of course, we're only a small team in reality. Still, once we got going Richard soon caught and passed me, and I stuck with Malc up until the second drink stop.




I was on my own then until Newby Bridge (about 12/13mile in) when Paul caught me up, Paul is the race leader and having an excellent run. I never try to chase any times or anyone outside of my plan, my plan being to stick around the 8 min 30 second mile giving me 3 hours 50 mins overall each day, or thereabouts, just want to get through really and not push it. Once Paul pressed on I carried on at my planned pace throughout finishing in 3 hours 49 minutes, Sarah and Adam were there to greet me which was amazing to catch a hug from Sarah, my third of the day in fact after seeing them another couple of times on route today.


I had a much better session with Michael in Physio today, he does have some concerns over my left calf and right Achilles heal, which we'll need to look at in the morning...but overall positive I'd say. Adam is the head of the physio team, I worry if Adam needs to get involved as that often means high pain levels, Micheal said we may need to get Adam to have a look tomorrow...........that will be nice....


And day 5 done, half way, and another 5 to go.....blimey


1 comment:

  1. Good read Sean enjoyed it. More indepth would be nice for us runners reading. Not complaining. Interesting reading what goes through your mind on the prep during the run injury concerns how you motivate yourself and not get bogged down with doubt as the biggest battle can be that horrible little man in your head.
    Keep it up big fella, playing a blinder.

    ReplyDelete