Wednesday 16 May 2018

Day 6......into the unknown


Today I felt was a big day, I said yesterday that reaching the halfway point is both terrifying and encouraging, well today we take that on in the 6th Marathon in six days, which in itself is ridiculous. The weather forecast for today was for cooler conditions which was music to me, as I've had 5 hard days running in the sun which is starting to grind me down a little.

Michael spent a little more time on my calf muscle this morning, my left calf was beginning to get quite sore both from the treatment and mileage. I guess the other issue I have currently is my Achilles in my right ankle which is also.

During the morning brief Aly said put sun cream on anyway, as the sun may come out, I was debating whether  I'd need to wear my cap today as it was cloudy and to be honest I was fed up of wearing it! In the end I decided not to gamble and go with the cap, good job as not long after setting off the sun came out and stayed out, so another warm day on the cards.

When I got to the first feed station I was glad to see Mike Sprot at the first feed station along with Tim Brown both runners from last years 10 in 10 challenge. I do like meeting other people who've taken on this challenge, and completed this and it was a bit of a boost to keep seeing them at each drink stop with encouraging words.



I stuck to my usual pace of about 8 min 30 seconds looking for my usual time of around 3 hours 50 minutes. I have held this relatively comfortable over the 5 marathons to date, and whilst I came in at 3 hours 51 minutes it was a struggle to hold the pace at times, especially from mile 14  - 19, which anyone who has run this course will know is a tough section. Some of the physio team had come out onto the road today to support us which was nice, I was glad to be cheered on just before Bowness doing the above mentioned tough section, shortly after cheered on again as they passed me in the car heading back to meet the runners on the finish line. Whilst travelling back however there was a problem on the road and I ran past the physio's car stuck in traffic about 3 miles out , luckily my man Michael was not one of them. I joking said as I ran past and said 'run back with me' , well.....in the end some of them had to in order to be there to meet their runner! Now that's dedication , a top team indeed

Happy overall with today, and a beautiful evening here in the Lake District, red sky at night as they say.........oh bugger... 



I've got to be in physio extra early tomorrow in order to apply ice to my Achilles ......once again something to look forward to. However, we go gain tomorrow! Nothing significant enough to stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment