Wednesday 20 November 2019

Conwy Half Marathon - November 17th 2019



I'd really been looking forward to this race since recovering from Marathon Eryri, this would be my third Conwy Half and it's always a great weekend, me and Sarah normally make a weekend out if it and travel down on the Saturday and visit the Christmas Markets, do a bit of shopping, then after the race enjoy a few beers and some food in Llandudno. After the glamour of Chicago followed by the brutality that Langdale and Snowdonia hit me with it's been nice to get back to normal training and return to a race I know well in the Conwy Half organised by Run Wales.


The race is now in it's 11th year and attracts a large number of runners of all abilities and increasingly strong field of runners chasing times, about 3000 runners and growing. It starts and finishes at the stunning Conwy Castle on the harbour and heads out of Conwy along the coast to Llandudno and around the Great Orme, so it's got a pretty long climb up around the Orme before returning to Conwy along the coast, it has just under 1000ft of climbing overall, perhaps not one you'd consider a PB course, but a stunning one and I think already becoming an iconic race in the calendar.


We'd travelled over as planned on the Saturday and settled into the accommodation , this year Sarah's dad Bill had joined us as I'd booked a good sized self catering home, booked really early and got a good deal. Once settled we headed over to the Llandudno Christmas Markets for a bit of shopping and food, I had a chicken wrap and an outrageous amount of caramelised cashew nuts, I'm sure the elites would have been doing the same......
The next morning after porridge we headed down to the start, it was a cold and murky morning so I stayed wrapped up as long as I could.


I'd been thinking about how to approach this race in the week or two leading up to it, should I take easy or go for it, it's a hilly course and I wasn't sure how much I would get out of it if I attacked it, or if I'd recovered from other events. But I'm already thinking about 2020, and my time goal for London, so with that in mind I thought stuff it, lets have a go, so the cap went on backwards and the Nike Vaporfly next % shoes went on.
I got myself warmed up and positioned near the front, perhaps about 20/25 runners in front of me in the start pack. There were lots of friendly faces from Hyde here this morning, and it was good to line up alongside Andy Hadfield and have a good catch up while we waited for the start gun.

I took my warm layer off and chucked it and suddenly we were away!  I wanted to try and run most miles sub 6 minute today and so went out accordingly and perhaps a little hot @5:35 minute miles, I tried to correct it by dropping a touch but soon settled at a more sensible 5:50 mile pace as we headed out of Conwy towards Llandudno and the Great Orme climb.
 
As we ran along the coast through the first three miles I was glad it was a calm morning with little wind, I was running with a runner from South Cheshire, there was a pack of runners ahead and another behind and we were in something of a 'no mans land' . I was actually finding the pace tough going, it felt more like a 5k pace than half marathon pace, although didn't want to crack on this was the case to my fellow runner so just ticked along and suffered as quietly as I could, I thought to myself I really don't want to get dropped here or I'll be all alone! The problem with 5k pace is almost every time I've run one I have a moment where I feel like quitting and look for an excuse! So I was able to focus on the battle not to quit for the next couple of miles and try and discover some rhythm. I've never quit yet, but the battle goes on, so if you ever see me drop out of Park Run or another 5k with some crap excuse like I've got cramp or a stitch, just tell me to get on with it would you please.  
Every group of supporters we ran past I heard calls of 'come on Cheshire!' and 'Go South Cheshire' , which strangely was pissing me off a bit. He was a really nice lad and kept replying thanks to all the shouts, but I was just thinking 'what about come on Hyde!' And just kept working to stay in touch.
 
 
Believe it or not I was glad when we hit the bottom of the Great Orme climb from mile 5, which really ramps up come mile 7, the climbs took the sting out of the pace and the groups which were ahead and behind broke up, It was hard going but I found my rhythm here and just kept using other runners as mini targets to pull myself up the hill. I've put about 1kg on in weight since running Chicago Marathon a month ago, and I was starting to feel that a bit climbing the Orme Road, I was also starting to regret eating so many caramelised cashew nuts last night,  I could just make out Gwion (Bobo) who I met at Hyde Park Run a few weeks back a little further up the road and made it my target to catch him up, which helped take my mind off the hill for a short while, exchanged a few knackered words to each other and we pressed on.
 
 
 
Once over the top of the climb I recovered my breathing and heart rate and I was away again, it felt good to be moving quick again and the views were now stunning. I manged to get my pacing back to sub 6 again into my target area, which in comparison to the hill climb actually felt pretty comfortable.  Once at the bottom of the descent I felt good and decided to hit the gas and go for at, my usual mental game came into action and I thought, "just a park run to go"  and managed to maintain 5:40's right the way in.
 
The final stages of those Park Run miles I really pushed on to keep my pace going, it was great to hear a few shouts of 'Go on Hyde!' which I really apricated, with the occasional GO SEAN or SEEN as it seems to be pronounced for some, but all appreciated the same so thanks if one of them was you! There must have been a very small undulation in the road which caught me out and my legs just had a little wobble, but managed to stay up right with no drama's, just 'concentrate!' I thought
 

 
 I crossed the finish line in 18th position and second place V40, I also had a new Half Marathon PB of 1 hour 17 mins and 54 seconds! I was really pleased and little surprised to PB on this course. So perhaps caramelised cashew nuts and a pint of wheat beer is the way forward after all? My hamstrings were as tight a Yorkshire mans wallet after the race so I did a few stretches before having my recovery drink and  getting some warm clothes on, after another catch up with Andy we headed back to the accommodation so I could have a shower and get changed.
 
I ran this race last year in 1 hour 32 last year, which at the time was my half marathon PB! What a difference a year makes, especially when you make a few changes to your routine and join Hyde Striders!
 
I'll absolutely be back here next year, this along with Langdale and Windermere Marathons are now on my list of Mandatory Races , can I temp you to sign up and perhaps join us for a weekend in Llandudno in 2020?  Conway Half Marathon
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment