Tuesday 13 March 2018

Is it me or is May the 11th coming around really quick?


Feeling like things are really coming back together in March, through illness, treacle running and toe issues I'm feeling much better. I estimate I missed around 100 - 130 miles of running during February, those are gone and I won't try and recover those miles, I'll just pick up where I left off (well, as much as you can I guess)

I managed a good couple of weeks running in the build up to Wrexham Marathon on March 11th, I've binned the 'taper' thing, which essentially means winding down the miles as a marathon draws near, I think the word taper is banned for 10 in 10 runners, part of the training is getting used to running most days and running on tired legs at times, within reason of course. I ran a long run of just under 20 miles the week before , with a further few runs during the week of 5 - 8 miles each.

On marathon day my plan was to stick with the 3 hour 15 min pacer, which I did reasonably well up until mile 21 where I blew a gasket, I wasn't overly surprised to be honest after a few weeks out, in fact I was pleased I lasted as long as I did which gave me some confidence I've been lacking. If you look at the below chart you can see the precise moment I blew up from 21 onwards.

Running in that blown condition beyond 21 miles is good 'character building' I thought, as there is no way I'll get through 10 Marathons without blowing the odd gasket here and there. I also run the day after Marathons now, as also this is something I will need to get used to and fast (incidentally it's horrible) So overall very happy I'm getting back on track. My next big test comes weekend 24th and 25th of March where I'll be running the Windermere route I'll be running 10 times in May twice over the weekend, this will be my first ever back to back Marathon Distance.

 Nice bit of bling from Wrexham Marathon Running Festival, nice event if anyone fancies an early season event, they do a 20 miler and a half also.
Nice to wear my new T Shirt from Sponsors Acre also, had a few nice comments and words of encouragement and luck from fellow runners out on the road.

I've definitely got the mojo back now, really looking forward to the lakes in a couple of weeks, and Manchester Marathon in early April.
Huge thanks to all that have sponsored me this month, it's going really well with everyones support, both in sponsorship and encouragement. A special thanks to Mum and Dad for sponsoring me this week, and Sarah for doing all the work in the background organising the fundraising event later this month, makes me proud to have such great support behind me.

At time of writing just 1 month and 27 days until Marathon 1 on May 11th (is it me or is this coming around really bloody quickly??)

No comments:

Post a Comment