Friday 18 May 2018

Day 8 ..


Day 8 started in the usual manner, opening the window to clear blue sky's, another warm sunny day on the cards. If I'm honest, I've kind of gotten used to the warm weather running, not sure in I'll be able to cope with the normal rainy conditions of Manchester when I return to normality next week.

There is still plenty to do before then mind, in the shape of two Marathons, I'm in fairly confident mood now, I managed to run 3 hours 48 minutes today, my fastest time so far, albeit by only a minute or so. With the exception of my sore Achilles heal which I'm treating with ice each afternoon and evening, I'm injury free, just a bit knackered as you'd expect.

It was one of the teams 100th Marathon today, any runner will know how special a day this is, once in a life time, and certainly not everyone's life time , an elite few. To run the 100th at this challenge and on the 8th Marathon is on another level, so the morning had a special feel to it. We normally set off roughly in order of pace, I'm roughly top 5 so set off early, today however Adrian led out the team of runners which was nice for us all and gave us an opportunity to catch him on route, a special day indeed. It was also good to see Sarah and her dad Bill at the start line, quite emotional seeing Sarah, been away from home is part of the mental battle of this event, I said yesterday I've made good friends here which I'll miss, but I've missed Sarah and home as well, I think it's partly why emotions are amplified here, we're hurting, we're happy, we're tired , we're excited but we all miss home as well.



As is becoming normal I began to get into my 8 min 30 sec pace and held this well, my heal was bloody sore but I just tried to put it to the back of my mind, and by mile 8 or so had warmed up and wasn't bothering me anymore. I ran on my own for most of the day until I caught up with Malc about mile 18, we ran through Bowness together where Sarah and Bill were there which was a nice booster, I stuck with Malc until about mile 21 which always helped tick the miles off, but Malc up the pace from there I and didn't chase down , I'll need to get Malc to show me how to run down hill, he glides down hill effortlessly.....

Discussing sore bits with Adam and Michael
Sarah at the finish


I ran on at my own pace today again and as said finished at 3 hours 48 mins, overall very happy. Sarah was there at the finish which was great also. My physio Michael and head Physio Adam were also at the finish line and asked me about my heal. Once I'd said my goodbyes to Sarah I was straight on the cool down spin bike and into Physio, Adam had a look at my heal and said it was just some thickening of tissue due to over use, shouldn't stop me!

Had a nice eveining with Sarah and her dad Bill in the Brathay bar also, as well as Mandy and Lee (Sarah's brother)



Good to go tomorrow , I'm told tomorrow will be busy, the tranquil peace of Brathay will be shattered by 1000's of runners arriving to race the Windermere Marathon on Sunday, our last day.......feels close now, really close.

No comments:

Post a Comment