Monday 13 April 2020

COVID-19 update




I don't normally blog unless I'm writing a race report, but then nothings normal anymore is it, and there are no races. So thought it would be good to talk about what's next and what I'm doing now the goals have changed, something else to read other than COVID-19 updates on race websites I thought.

My last official road race was the Wrexham Freedom 20, just a month ago on March 8th, although it feels like it was years ago in reality. Things have escalated a touch since then mind, I said in my last blog I was hopeful I'd still be running London, it seems laughable now on reflection, laughable it was ever on the cards or that it even matters....but it does, it still does.

I outlined my plans for this year like we all did, that has all been ripped apart by this horrible virus impacting on so many lives, any runner will know the autumn racing calendar is just plain ridiculous. I already had a busy autumn with the Berlin Marathon, Langdale Marathon, Conway Half Marathon and Wilmslow Festive 10k, all races I had a goal in. Now with the London Marathon, Salford 10k, Windermere Marathon,  Coniston 14 and Mid Cheshire 5k's all pushed to the Autumn we have races overlapping races. I need some help untangling the Autumn race calendar and hoping you can help, but we'll come back to that later.

After the Wrexham 20 I was on a high, training had gone really well for London and the Wrexham road race was a chance to test my planned marathon pace of 6min per mile, if I could run that in Wrexham on an undulating, lonely course with no support or taper, then I'd be confident of hitting 6 min miles in London for the 26.2. Well I did, in fact I averaged slightly quicker and felt comfortable.

As we know since then things have deteriorated on a daily basis, the following Friday came the news from London that the race had been postponed to October 4th,  clearly London is the unofficial head of the running world, as once London confirmed all the races on the planet started to fall, Boston, Manchester, Hamburg, Brighton , Newport, Windermere and so on. It was a sad but inevitable and of course required day.

Stamford Park run on the Saturday morning was a somber affair really, we all kind of knew this was the last Park Run for a while. I noted Gavin Hill and Joe Hudak were on the start line, so had no interest in trying to compete today , in fact myself and Matthew Latham chatted away for the last mile or so about the current climate...you certainly shouldn't be able to hold a conversation at 5k pace in my view, so we both trotted in 3rd and 4th. And that was it, the curtain came down on Park Run later that week, along with England Athletics closing down club and training group runs.

I really haven't been sure what to do with myself training wise,  I'm not going out throwing in 20 mile runs at weekend without a marathon to work towards, don't get me wrong, I love my long runs, but I like watching YouTube and playing FIFA on the PlayStation as well, so I've been doing a bit more of that recently. I do however love running just for running, I'm not even sure who I'd be if it wasn't for running.

Speed sessions on the NoblePro Air 6.0

The only thing most people seem to agree on these days is the only way to beat this virus is to buy all the toilet roll and pasta, which I really don't understand if I'm honest. Although I have to admit, I have done my own bit of panic buying and bought a treadmill. I invested in a NoblePro Air 6.0 , I have to say, from someone who normally hates treadmills I've actually really enjoyed it, saving the treadmill for shorter stuff and speed sessions, so far no further than 5 miles. 

As we are now in a situation where we can only train outside once a day the treadmill means I can get my two runs a day in still. I'm working at home for the foreseeable, so I've been doing my outdoor run early before work, which are normally between 5 and 11 miles, easy pace  7:15 - 7:45 mins per mile, whilst my evening runs are indoor and shorter, sometimes steady but often I'll do a speed session or sharper 5k. This is the new normal at the moment. I am really missing my running friends, group runs, club, park runs and mostly events with the sharpness that events bring ! So glad we have Strava to stay connected


Hitting the moors and fells!

There are things to be positive about however, I'm embracing the treadmill for example. Also, without the pressure of pace and mileage targets, I'm just going out and running in the morning, had some stunning runs over Werneth Low and Hobson Moor, runs I probably wouldn't normally do with a busy marathon plan. I'm not normally a fan of fell and trail running, but looking for isolation I've discovered a love for quiet off road runs. What's happening to me, Treadmills now Fell runs!

 
And I'm hitting the trails!

 I also managed to secure the last pair in the world it seems of Nike Vaporfly Next% pink blast! These are for London, so other than a quick tester they'll go back in the box for now.

Gold Dust  - Nike Vapor Fly Next%
So, back to the autumn dilemma, something has to give, I'm not even sure the Autumn races will go ahead anyway if I'm honest, although I desperately hope they do! I need some help deciding on a couple here. Comment on Facebook or Instagram if you have any thoughts,  or views on any of these races or goals. There are pro's and cons for all, so here goes:


I think I'm already decided on this one, the revised London Marathon date of October 4th now clashes with the Berlin Marathon which takes place the week before September 26th. I'm gutted about this clash of course, but anyone that knows me will know how hard I've worked to get a place in London, for me London is where it's at. So unfortunately I'm not going to run Berlin this year and hopefully qualify for the 2021 race. The Berlin Marathon website was designed in 2001 judging by it's usability and appearance, so it's very difficult to negotiate , however hotels and flights I've managed to cancel (at a cost), it terms of my entry fee.....that seems to have gone.


So the rest of my dilemma looks like this.


Langdale Marathon October 24th :


    Langdale Marathon October 24th Held every October as part of Oktoberfest in Great Langdale. Last year I won this race , this was my first marathon win and I'd love to go back and try to race again. My goal for this year would be to try and run 3 hours on this course and see where it takes me. Its the UK's toughest road marathon with over 3000ft of climbing and some climbs of 30%. Read about last years race here Langdale Marathon 2019


OR


Windermere Marathon November 1st
Windermere Marathon November 1st
(Postponed from May)
Finished 16th last year in this race and 1st MV40, I ran 3 hours 6 mins. I was quite early in my Chicago journey at that point so would love to think I can better that time this year. Windemere is certainly the bigger event out of the two Lakeland Marathons, both are organised by Brathay. Its still a hilly course with over 1700ft of elevation, but certainly a faster course, although it has a faster field so more difficult to do any damage at the sharp end. My goal here would be sub 3 hours, about 2 hours 50  and see where it takes me. Of course I'd love to take MV40 again


Next up my Autumn middle distance dilemma looks like this: I can only do one realistically, so again, which one?


Conwy Half Marathon 15th November

Conwy Half Marathon  - November 24th

I love this race, I've been coming here for a few years now and generally have a good run here. Which is strange as the course is far from flat which takes you around the Great Orme. Generally the route is up hill for the first half and down for the second.
Last year I ran 1 hour 17mins and 54 seconds, which at the time was a HM PB , 2nd place MV40 and 18th overall. It attracts a strong field and is a great event overall. We normally make a weekend out of it as the local area is lovely and the Llandudno Christmas Markets are on. Read about last years race here Conwy Half 2019






OR

Coniston 14  - 7th November



Coniston 14 November 7th 2020
(postponed from March )

The event is traditionally held in March each spring, I have never ran the event before so can't comment too much on the race and organisation. Other than I've only ever heard positive comments about the event. The course is lumpy again as it's held in the lake district and takes in a lap of Coniston Water. It's just over the Half Marathon Distance hence the name and odd distance name.
The main downside to this race for me is timing, held just a week after Windermere Marathon.








So that's where I am, very thankful for technology so I can stay in touch with family and friends, working our way through Sky box offices worst films.  Hopefully we all get through this safely and we can lift pause from life and racing. I'd like to think we can restart London Training about July time and count down again after a good practice run this winter. So London, you can run but you can't hide, I am still coming for you!
As for the other races, let me know your thoughts on Instagram and Facebook , see you all on the other side and remember, keep routine, stay connected and keep moving.

Staying apart in order to stick together





No comments:

Post a Comment